Southwest County Banner

 

Background Report

Historic Resources
Map 7: Historic Resources

1. Adair Gardens Historic District
Located on portions of Adair, Rose, and Coile Drive, the houses in this district date mainly from 1920 to 1935. This neighborhood is the best example in Knoxville of a lower-middle-class suburban housing from this period. The neighborhood was built over a 15-year period, and the transition from streetcar to automobile can clearly be seen. The major architectural styles found here are Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival and Minimal Traditional.

2. Colonial Circle/Peyton Place
There are individual structures on these streets that may be eligible for designation; further research of early residents, architects, builders and architectural styles need to be acquired before designation is pursued.

3. Edmondson House
This two-story log cabin was built around the year 1810 by Isaac Anderson’s family. He was a Presbyterian minister who is best known as the original founder of Maryville College.

4. Fountain City Elementary School
This building was constructed in 1931 along with Gresham Middle School based on the designs of local architecture firm Baumann and Baumann.

5. Fountain City Downtown, Lake and Park
The Lake was built in front of the Fountain City Hotel in 1890. The roughly heart-shaped dimensions of the Lake were traditionally thought to signify an area for young Knoxvillians to fall in love. Additionally, several of the existing commercial structures at the corner of Hotel and Broadway are possibly eligible. The Fountain City Park was also constructed along with the hotel. In 1944 the Fountain City Lions Club got permission to build their clubhouse (destroyed by fire and rebuilt) in the park in exchange for its upkeep.

6. Garden Drive Historic District
This area was developed between the 1900s and 1930s and contains late Victorian-era, Craftsman and some Revival-era cottages that may have been built originally as summer or resort homes for people visiting Fountain Head. It is centered by the National Register listed Savage Gardens.

7. Gibbs Drive District
The houses along Gibbs Road were constructed between 1915 and 1940. It is a good example of an early automobile suburb. The main architecture style found within it is Bungalow/Craftsman.

8. Gresham Middle School
A school of some form has been on this site since 1892, when Holbrook Normal College set its campus here. The current building was built in 1931 based on designs by the local architecture firm Baumann and Baumann. It served as Central High School until a new building was constructed in 1971. The old building was renamed Gresham after a 1902 graduate of Normal College and principal of the high school (1919-1947), Hassie K. Gresham.

9. Greenwood Cemetery
Dr. R.N. Kesterson created this cemetery in 1900 after the death of his young son. He wanted to create a “Place of Beauty Forever” and it shows from the beautiful entrances and carefully designed landscaping that are still maintained today. The designation could include the fence and entrance as historic structures.

10. Harrill Hills (Northern Portion)
A commuter suburb that started development in the late 1920s. The older portion of this neighborhood is potentially eligible based on a variety of popular architectural styles.

11. Highland-Maple Drive Historic District
To the west of Broadway, south of Cedar Lane is an area that developed between 1890-1935 as a streetcar suburb, and contains late Victorian and Craftsman-era design homes; their consistent architecture, history and lot configuration make this area eligible for designation.

12. Midlake and Ocala Drive
There are individual structures on these streets that may be eligible for designation; further research of early residents, architects, builders and architectural styles need to be acquired before designation is pursued.

13. Murphy House
This Gothic Revival cottage located on Murphy Road was influenced by landscape architect Andrew Jackson Downing. It was originally built in 1820 but was dramatically renovated in 1850.

14. Oakland Recreation Center
This recreation center was formerly “Oakland Colored School” built in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression. The architect was Frank O. Barber.

15. Savage House and Garden
This house, located on Garden Drive, was built in 1917 in a Bungalow/Craftsman style. It is most significant for the beautiful gardens with sculptural pieces that surround the house.

16. Stratford-Sterchi Farm
The property contains a decorative Neoclassical mansion and a few outlying buildings. It was part of a Swiss settlement from 1910 to 1935 and is located at the intersection of Dry Gap Pike and Jim Sterchi Road.

17. Tazewell Pike NC-1 Corridor
The NC-1 designation runs along Tazewell Pike from the Greenwood Cemetery to Shannondale Road. It includes the following among many other historic buildings:

The Oaks: This historic home, 4105 Tazewell Pike, was constructed in 1885. It is two and a half stories high and built in the Eastlake style.

Shannondale Presbyterian Church: It was constructed in 1891 based on the designs by David Getaz. This church on Tazewell Pike can be connected back to the French-Swiss community that settled in the area in the 1800s. It is an Eastlake style with Gothic Revival Influences.

Spring Haven-Truan House: This house can also be associated with the French-Swiss community and was built in 1876 and remodeled in 1919. It is a traditional American Foursquare house located on Tazewell Pike.

William Crawford House: This two-story Greek Revival House was built in 1857 on Tazewell Pike. During the Civil War it was reportedly used as the headquarters for General Armstrong of Alabama.

 

<< Previous Section
Next Section >>